Faster. Lighter. Stronger
Varial has created a new patent-pending process for glassing boards, called Infused Glass. Drawing on our core competencies of adapting aerospace technologies for the advancement of surfboard performance, Varial has developed a revolutionary vacuum bagged glassing product. The process, currently used to make large wind turbine blades and racing boat hulls, infuses polyester or epoxy resin into the fiberglass under vacuum pressure in one shot. This produces a uniform laminate with extremely low resin content, creating the ability to isolate and engineer specific characteristics into the skins of the surfboard for any desired performance attributes.
Glass with Polyester or Epoxy Resins
100% Closed cell with Tight and Uniform structure
100% UV Resistant
Micro Comparison 35x
• Uniform density throughout the entire blank. No soft centers or pour lines.
• Varial Foam is non-toxic and non-hazardous to work with. Our advanced alcohol-based blowing agent allows for a high degree of crystallinity in the polymerization process.
• Current standard blank density is 2.35 pcf (+/- 10%).
• Small cell size allows for excess resin weight to be squeegeed out and provides minimal resin absorption.
• No out-gassing of the foam after shaping.
• Ultra-high surface energy creates a strong bond between core and fiberglass skins with little to no delamination issues.
• Rigid foam creates an extra strong hold for fin boxes.
• Fix a ding with any repair kit.
INFUSED GLASS >
A high modulus core is essential to performance, and Varial Foam has more than 7x the modulus of polyurethane. It efficiently transfers the surfer’s energy directly through the core to the water’s surface instead of absorbing it, making the board faster and more responsive. A high modulus core allows increased bending and impact strength while maintaining a light-weight density and optimal flex. The increased strength eliminates the need for any type of reinforcing stringer, which yields a highly uniform and consistent structure. Most surfboard foam is very susceptible to yellowing with UV exposure; Varial foam is 100% UV resistant and will never yellow. Varial foam can also be glassed with polyester or epoxy resin.
PU with Stringer